Monday, March 10, 2014

Agra to Varanasi



The over night train from Agra to Varanasi went well.  I slept top bunk, three high and the fellow next to me was Osamu from Japan. It's funny, the conversations and quick relationships that happen while traveling. I spoke what Japanese I knew and we exchanged Facebook info and took photos together. I arrived in Varanasi very tired from lack of good sleep on the train.  Due to an overbooking at my hotel, I was taken to another and even better one right on the banks of the Ganges down by Ossi River. The hotel was booked with South Americans who follow Paramahansa Yogananda. The fellow whose autobiography I happen to be reading. I made friends with them and we traveled to a Shiva temple outside of town for a Pooja and I also joined them in Sarnath at deer Park. But the real reason I was here was to help out Bal Ashram. I played music and sang at the school and with the support of some special donors, was able to purchase new bedding and basic everyday supplies to the 25 orphans they serve. The bedding was much needed and now the kids won't have to share blankets, sheets and the like. Thank you to those who contributed! I'm off to Kolkata on another night train in a few hours. I'll be at the Mother Teresa hospitals for a good week. I'll keep you up to date on what I'll be doing there. I've heard so many stories but won't know until I get there. I enjoyed my stay in Varanasi. I think I'm getting the hang of India and I look forward to my time in the City of Joy, Kolkata.

No comments: