Monday, February 24, 2014

India: A beginners journey

  In about 10 hours, I'll be on plane to India. Well, technically I'll be making a stop over in London for a few hours, but Delhi is the final destination. The above photo is all that I'm taking with me to last me for an entire month and it all fits in that backpack. Take a good look, most of it is not coming back. There's crayons, toy animals, glow sticks, disposable cleaning wipes, rubber gloves, hospital masks, two first aid kits, Clif Bars, soaps, pens. I also got some fun stuff in there too. A ukulele, kazoo, harmonica, a mini frisbee that lights up, a GoPro camera, a book on Paramahansa Yogananda. Those I plan on keeping!
  I've been asked many times, why India, why now? Well, there's more than one reason and not all of them are easy to explain. A big reason is that I love adventure and I love to travel.  I wanted to go to a place where I don't easily blend in to my surroundings. I'm also going because I love to volunteer and there I'll be offering my help in a hospital in Kolkata, an orphanage in Varanasi and a 'school' in Delhi. I'm sure while I'm there that I'll find other places to offer myself. I'm very grateful for the outpouring of love and support from so many of my friends and family. Many of you reading this have donated to a fund that I will then use to further help those in need. I thank you for that and I'm humbled you've given so much trust (and $) in me to see your donations through. I guess in a way, although you can't see it in the photo, you're also there. I'll be taking all of you with me on this journey and this blog is just one small way for me to invite you along for the ride. Shall we begin?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Let's begin! Thanks for packing me in your knapsack. --Julie

Lalo Quezada said...

I love what you're doing Josh. Your heart and generosity is beautiful. Be safe buddy. Xo Lalo.